Saturday, September 27, 2008

FAQ

What is MyInstantSecret or MIS?
MyInstantSecret is an online version of PostSecret. Instead of sending your secrets to Frank Warren on a postcard, You send your secrets to me, via AIM IM.

What screen name do I send my secret to?
MyInstantSecret
no spaces, no numbers

Is my secret anonymous?
Yes & No. Mainly yes. I make all secrets anonymous before I post them on myinstantsecrets myspace account by blocking out your screen name, But no, I dont know of a way to make it totally anonymous to me, I will see your screen name obviously! But since I don't know you it won't matter, & I don't add anyone to my Aim Buddy List. Okay, lets just say its all anonymous.

Where can I see everyone elses secrets?
theres a few old ones uploaded on the MIS myspace account,
(www.myspace.com/myinstantsecret)
But I put up alot on this blogspot site, every sunday.

Are you an AIM BOT?
Haha, No. Real person. Real secrets. I'm way cooler than any AIM BOT.

Will you respond to my IM's?
Maybe. I leave the screen name online as much as I can, And even then, I can't always be sitting at the computer. So, send the secret anyways, who knows what you might get back! Some people I get to talk to for quite some time, Some others I never get the chance to respond back.

How many secrets can I share with you?
How many do ya got? :]

What if I don't want my secret (even if it's been made anonymous) to be posted on the site?
Just ask, thats cool too.

How do you choose what secrets you post?
I get about 500 secrets a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. I choose the select few for various reasons. Sometimes if someone IM's me ONLY asking for advice, not really sharing a secret. In that case I don't post those. Also I don't post the secrets I know someone will identify if part of it is too detailed. In one case I was talking to two friends online at the same time, and one wanted to know when I would post the new secrets because she wanted to identify her friends secret, so for his privacy I decided not to share his secrets. Other than that, all secrets are game.

Can I just share a secret or can I ask for advice?
I'll try to give what advice I can. I'm not very judgemental at all and I can respect anything from any point of view. Alot of people IM me asking me to "tell them what to do" about whatever situation, I can't and won't do that. I just don't know you and the situation you're in well enough to make a good choice, but I will share what I think is best, you decide what to do in the end.

Do you share YOUR secrets with US?
Of course! It works both ways. Just ask, I'll share.

Are conversations confidential?
Yes. Your secret is safe with me, literally. I don't discuss other conversations with other people online or otherwise.

Can I ask you personal questions?
Sure, you can. I will only get so personal, as it would defeat the purpose, Since I wouldn't be a complete "stranger" that you would be sharing your secrets with.

Whats the saddest/worst/most shocking/best secret you have recieved?
For one, I have gotten so many secrets I wouldnt know! Theres just too many to choose from, I think all of them have a certain shock value at first since they're all secrets, but go look at the secrets and pick your most shocking etc secret! ;]

Really, Are you serious?
Yes. I'm very serious about this project. And if you care to mock it in any way, thats your choice. Don't be immature, And I can handle the hatemail, so bring it on.

Is MyInstantSecret affiliated in any way to Post Secret?
Yes & No. It's more PostSecret inspired.

Can I post my number on your site to receive text messages/secrets?
I rather you don't. Thats not what this site is for. Frank Warren would gladly let you post your number on his blog, And I feel its pretty personal to give out your number online, So don't do it on my site please.

How can I help?!
I'm sure once MIS grows bigger (which it does every single day) I will eventually give in and need help maintaing the site, but for now I would like people to help me most by sharing the site info with your friends, & of course by sharing your secrets ;]

edit:
Now that MIS has indeed grown, I have recruited one person to help maintain the Myspace account for MIS, only. I still run the AIM screen name and posting secrets every sunday.


thanks for reading.